[Sca-cooks] word usage

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Tue Jun 6 19:50:37 PDT 2006

>Phlip said:
>
>>So, getting all full of yourselves about using absolutely period terms for
>various functions is fine, but if people don't like them, or just prefer the
>terms they've been using to the terms you want them to use, you aren't going
>to get very far. Please keep that in mind as you make your decrees.
>
>Sweetie I'm going to make the assumption that you don't think I'm being
>"full of myself", and I'm just telling it like it is...here in Ealdormere.
>There are still folks around these parts who use the old school words. But
>stealth education has been a pet project of mine has for over 15 years...
>
>This also includes using the correct terminology. Imo, calling the Head Cook
>(my preference as well) a Feastocrat is the same as calling the Knights,
>White Belts; or calling Royalty, Tin Hats or Lids; and unless there's an
>ugly furry beast at the front of the building, it is the Gate.
>Micaylah

We have a small barony in the hinterlands of Alaska, and we have a
constant influx of new people (lotsa military and students). It is
easy to train them to use the better words, like children, and head
cook (preferred up here), and gate. We still use autocrat, having not
yet heard anything better and as easy to understand. They hear the
older terms and promptly get told a story about the good ol' days.

But we haven't given up Eric so far. Although I'd guess that's a West
Kingdom preference, and is also a good story (G). And now I get to
add "market" or even "fair" to our vocabulary.

Morgana yr Oerfa, deep lurker