[Sca-cooks] Moghul Food

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jun 7 07:53:08 PDT 2006

I suspect that this might be the book you want--
The NI'Matnama Manuscript of the Sultans of Mandu: The Sultan's Book of
Delights
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Titley%2C%20Norah%20M./203-8301489-2310345>
by Norah M Titley
http://www.routledge-ny.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=&isbn=041535059X&parent_id=102&pc=

I have to preface this by saying that my husband came home
last December and dropped  The Ni'matnama Manuscript of the Sultans of
Mandu
by Norah M. Titley into my lap. He reviewed something for CRC
and they sent him two books for free. So he picked up this
one for me. Never one to pass up a freebie, especially if it's subtitled
"A late fifteenth-century book of recipes
written for the Sultan of Mandu, the Ni'matnama."
It's authentic.
Lots on oranges in it and sweets. It was a nice early holiday present.
A number of people on the list own it and the reviews tend to be positive.
There's some good stuff in it.
Is it worth buying? Yes and no. It's very expensive, so unless someone
is very into that area
I'd almost have to say no on a purchase. It's listed at $125 currently
in the USA. It's not turning up cheap on the used book market.
I'd say try for interlibrary loan and see if they can provide a copy.
The recipe section
isn't that large. The plates take up most of the book. I'd say that most
folks could do
ok with the just a xeroxed recipe section, save the money on the
purchase, and be quite happy.

Hope this helps

Johnnae