[Sca-cooks] Garbage

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jun 8 21:06:48 PDT 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 11:47 PM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

>> I've heard rumors of my sister producing what was alleged to be a
>> respectable liver Stroganoff while in college...
>
> _That_, dear Master, is what we in the biz call an 'abomination'.

Possibly. I've never seen it, let alone tried it, but I could kind of
see it being pretty good for what it _is_, and not as an imitation of
Beef Stroganoff made from steak... I mean, if you posit that liver
is, or at least can be, good, most of what goes into a Stroganoff
sounds like pretty fortuitous additions to liver.

> Next
> you'll be telling us that you can make it out of beef tongue! (And
> then we
> will have to shoot you, for our own protection.)

I'd have to give that some thought. I liked the [fresh] beef tongue
Basquaise that appears in one of Jeff Smith's books, but it's so rich
you can eat about two ounces of it and you're full for the next 20
hours or so.

On the whole liver thing, though, I've had some experience and some
success with messing about with liver being what it is, and either
neutralizing or showcasing its sweet-and-bitter flavor. Sauces with
Guinness stout or Angostura bitters, and something sweet like carrots
are good ways to trick the palate into agreeing that sweet-and-bitter
is an okay flavor combination, within reasonable limits. Sour cream
would take in kind of the opposite direction, but could probably be
made to work, with a little care.

Adamantius