[Sca-cooks] Moghul Food

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Jun 9 06:02:26 PDT 2006

On 6/9/06, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:

> >Thank you, thank you for posting these specific examples. This kind
> >of comment about the food not changing comes up periodically on many
> >foreign, ethnic cuisines. I definitely don't have the expertise to
> >come up with examples to disprove those comments.

> Simple counterexamples are tomatoes in Italian food, potatoes in
> Russian and Irish, paprika in Hungarian, hot peppers in a variety of
> Old World cuisines. All are from the New World.
> --
> David/Cariadoc

Certainly I know where you're coming from, Cariadoc, I've had the
opportunity to learn a great deal from you over the years, as have many of
us in the SCA and on this List. But, we're still dealing with the mindset
that doesn't comprehend that there is a distinct difference between the
1400s and the 1800s- both are long ago, as was the Vietnamese War ;-0

And, the acceptance of the New World foods varied quite a bit, too, with
some countries/cultures accepting a New World foodstuff immediately, and
others not accepting them until much later. And, you always have the
difficulty with people believing that potatoes originated in Ireland,
tomatoes in Italy, and paprika in Hungary, simply because these foods have
been so thoroughly assimilated into the cultures of these nations, that they
can't conceive of these nations ever having a cuisine that didn't include
them.

Just think, Olde Dinosaure, people have been born and grown to adulthood
since YOU were King of Pennsic One- obviously, you predate even Irish
potatoes ;-)

--
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"