[Sca-cooks] mayo questions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 13 06:17:21 PDT 2006

The theory is based on the idea that Marie Antoine Careme would have known
the origin of the name if mayonnaise had been created as late as 1756, ergo
the name must be older than it appears.  Since the word first appears in
English in (IIRC) Thackery's Memoirs of a Gormand (1841), I find the earlier
dates a little questionable as to the origin of the name.  The most commonly
accepted version of the naming relates to the sauce being prepared in
celebration of the capture of Mahon on the island of Minorca.

The sauce is another matter.  A version of allioli, the Catlan garlic and
oil sauce appears in Pliny.  The Provencal version, aioli, is made with eggs
and is essentially a garlic mayonnaise.  If we accept the sauce served after
the capture of Mahon in the Balaeric Islands was a local version of
mayonnaise, then we have three points of geographic commonality that suggest
mayonnaise is a regional sauce of Mediterranean France and Spain with a long
history of developement that probably made it one of the first emulsified
sauces.  !6th Century, maybe.  17th Century, almost certainly.

BTW, Mayenne was created as a department of France in 1790, replacing the
old County of Maine, which left me puzzled as to why the Comte de Maine
would be referred to as the Duc de Mayenne.  The title of Duc de Mayenne was
created in 1573 for a cadet branch of the de Guise family headed by one
Charles de Guise or Charles de Lorraine.

Bear