[Sca-cooks] New Apicius books and other new books

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Wed Jun 14 04:24:06 PDT 2006

Christopher Grocock and Sally Grainger have a new translation of Apicius and Sally Grainger has a bok to go along with it called Cooking Apicius. "This is not 'recipes inspired by the old Romans' but rather a serious effort to convert the extremely gnomic instructions in the Latin into something that can be reproduced in the modern kitchen which actually gives some idea of what the Romans might have eaten."

On another list Sally asked people to get it straight from Prospectbooks.com rather than amazon, but I couldn't get that website to work.  In a websearch, this seems to be the Prospect bookstore site:
http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/system/index.html.

While there I saw some others that look interesting including some collected papers, one on wine, one on spices and comfits and some I'd like to know more about on elder flowers/berries, chestnuts, and figs.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net