[Sca-cooks] New Apicius books and other new books

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jun 14 05:56:12 PDT 2006

We met and talked with Sally at the Leeds Conference in 2004. She
and John Hudson gave a demo on cooking over fire. Those papers ought to
be out next year.

In the US the distributor for Prospect Books is
David Brown.
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/      or
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/home.cfm/Location/DBBC

The arrangement seems to be working. I can remember buying the books
from UVA back in the early-mid 1980's and then for a number of years
it was all hit or miss. Brown is a stable company and they carry a
number of UK
presses now.
They carry enough titles that I even reviewed the company for TI
in issue 154 in the Spring of 2005. One title they have at the moment is
Material culture in London in an age of transition which is a very cool book
on Tudor finds.
Prospect Books website at times is being fiddled with, so sometimes
it's there and sometimes not. Use MS Explorer; I've had better luck with it
in terms of getting pages from the UK to load of late.

Devra does carry Prospect Books also.
I have the two of the books on trees that have been released. One is
The Ancient Yew; the other is The Elder. The latter is a Prospect title.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae