[Sca-cooks] Spanish recipe question.

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jun 14 21:15:15 PDT 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 11:11 PM, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> I'll second Adamantius' recommendation of an olla podrida.  Recipes
> appear in the Spanish corpus in the late 16th century.  Digby, who is
> post-period, has a simplified version

<recipes snipped>

>  You can see why Digby's version is called "simple".
>
> As for vegetarian, nothing leaps immediately to mind, but I'll be glad
> to look around in my sources.

When we did this, we used meats we felt would be reasonably
appropriate but ultimately dictated by what was available at the
market at the time, so I think it involved short ribs, ducks, white
veal sausages, [maybe smoked pork knuckles] and morcilla, as well as
six or eight vegetables (cabbage, parsnips, turnips, onions, leeks,
garlic, chick peas, etc.)

It seemed to me that those vegetables would make a fairly decent
soup, with maybe an enriching spoonful of good olive oil stirred in
at the end, and would have a certain harmony with the soup from the
olla podrida pot...

Adamantius