[Sca-cooks] buying chinese spices

SilverR0se at aol.com SilverR0se at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 10:56:15 PDT 2006

In a message dated 6/16/2006 8:26:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
maggie5 at cox.net writes:

> SPICES. However, theres some odd import
> restrictions on organic things.
>
> Is there anybody familiar with what those restrictions might be, and what
> is convenient to pick up and bring back from there, in terms of spices?  He
> had problems trying to find sichuan pepper, but maybe it was because I had
> described it badly.

My mom just got back from China, sans any spices :(.  She was told that only
spices  in sealed packages would be allowed into the USA.

DragonMarsh.com and World Spice have everything EXCEPT sichuan pepper. I
found some (whole corns) about 4 months ago at Amazon.com in the gourment food
section and order them. It were great, but when I went back to order more they
were not there, so maybe I got the last of it.

We can still get it ground at our local 99 Ranch Market.

Renata