[Sca-cooks] Hell's Kitchen and Injuries, now restaurants.

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jun 21 07:12:01 PDT 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 9:37 AM, ysabeau wrote:

>  I thought he deserved
> to go more than Giacomo...but Giacomo didn't provide as many
> opportunities for Ramsey to yell at him as Tom(?) did. That was
> probably a made-for-TV choice...either that or Ramsey has a reason
> for keeping Tom around. I think Ramsey has a good heart and wants
> to bring out the best in his people, just like any drill sergeant.

Oh, I'm sure he's completely different to deal with personally; you
can tell by his rather unimaginative use of profanity every other
sentence, and some really feeble, repetitive insults, that often his
heart really isn't in it to be that mean.

I mean, anybody who wants to insult this Giacomo fellow should
obviously stop harping on his admittedly-unsanitary hair (although
it's no worse than that of many of the women in the same kitchen) and
go straight to insulting his cooking.

But Chefs With Authority aren't what they used to be. I remember one
Swiss chef at the Plaza Hotel, of all places (and speaking of
establishments with more than one kitchen and a place for anyone, no
matter how incompetent) giving a line cook an expert tongue-lashing,
and turning his back on the guy, who had raised his fist and was
preparing to cold-cock him from behind, wheeling around and, without
a word, raising his pointed index finger like an epee in a <don't...
you... dare...> gesture. The poor cook looked like he'd been stuck
with a pin and deflated.

Adamantius