[Sca-cooks] oatmeal/hot cereal?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Jun 22 00:07:29 PDT 2006

At 03:01 PM 6/21/2006, you wrote:
>hi!
>
>has anyone had success making oatmeal/hot cereal on the fire? I'm hoping
>to find a
>method that involves real oats (not the rolled kind, etc) that I can start
>a fire,
>set it burbling and ignore for a bit while I chop up dried fruit, etc
>
>1. what kind of oats/grains did you use?
>2. what were your favorite add ins?
>3. I remember vaguly a recipe for a hot cereal dish from le menagier?
>maybe? anyone
>have access to their books who can look it up?
>
>bascially I'm looking for an easy breakfast dish to do during a weeklong re-
>enactment event. the rest of camp may be happy living off smoked fish,
>hard boiled
>eggs and such but me, I needs me some fiber ;)
>
>thanks!
>
>--Anne-Marie

I like a five-grain or seven-grain blend (I think it's Red Mill, but not
certain), which can cook while I'm puttering around with other things.
(Have to stop and stir once in awhile though- don't want it scorched.) Just
before I serve it, I like to stir in a beaten egg. Makes for a nice creamy
texture, and a bit of added protein. Sometimes I add dried fruit (added to
the water when I first put it on the boil- it plumps up nice that way), a
bit of cinnamon, or a whole, grated apple. Milk and a bit of brown sugar,
and I'm good to go!

'Lainie