[Sca-cooks] Pickles from Ein Boke de Guter Spise

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jun 23 20:21:03 PDT 2006

On Jun 23, 2006, at 10:00 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Stefan wrote
>> Adamantius replied to Guenievre with:
>>>
>>> This is almost identical to the English compost recipes, except
>>> there
>>> the vegetable content is specified pretty clearly (it's a mixture).
>>>
>>> The recipe shows up in various forms in French, English, and German
>>> sources (not to mention something pretty close in Apicius). It seems
>>> like most often the vegetables so preserved are a mix, or beets,
>>> carrots or cucumbers. Cabbage cut into squares, or even cauliflower
>>> (assuming no issues with its region-specific periodicity) would also
>>> be good.
>>
>> I seem to remember a lot more different vegetables than this,
>> especially more root vegetables, in the compost recipes.
>
> I'm with you, Stefan. I made some pickles from the Guter Spise recipe
> and i din't think they were much like the Compost i made from Form of
> Curye.
>
> Perhaps they are distant cousins...

<shrug> Their relationship is hard to quantify, but the dressing
ingredients are nearly identical. It could easily be a matter of
interpretation of quantities and/or proportions. As for there being a
lot more different vegetables in English compost, that was pretty
much why I referred to it as a mixture ;-).

Of course, it's quite possible to see these as very different, based
on the availability of seasonal vegetables and fruits,  or as very
similar by dint of their sweet-and-sour honey-mustard sauce. If I'm
not merely imagining a similarity, it certainly wouldn't be the only
example of court cookery transcending borders.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04