[Sca-cooks] Medieval Arab Cookery - tasteless commercial note

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 27 15:44:21 PDT 2006

Devra wrote:
>I have received my copies of the reissue (reprint?) of Medieval Arab
>Cookery, and they are available from me for $50 plus $3 shipping.
>See my website
>(_http://www.poisonpenpress.com_ (http://www.poisonpenpress.com/) )
>for  ordering
>info, or call me 718-853-8121. I don't know how long the sale is going  to
>last. When it's over, the book will retail at $75 plus postage.

First, this is not tasteless, this is for a book with tasty contents :-P

Second, this is not just for those with Near and Middle Eastern
personae or a love of the cuisines of those regions. There is
information of interest here to those who cook other cuisines from
European regions around the Mediterranean, and finally for those
interested in the history of cooking in general.

It contains, among other things:
- an intermediate version of al-Baghdadi - A.J. Arberry's
translations with many improvements in footnotes by Charles Perry -
Arberry and his transcriber Daoud Chelebi made many errors they
couldn't help, since they were not familiar with Medieval Arabic
cookbooks - such as the "blattes de Byzance" fiasco.
- The Book of the Description of Familiar Foods - from 14th C. Cairo
- which includes most of al-Baghdadi, about 100 more 'Abbasid
recipes, a confectioner's manual, and a chapter on Food for Invalids
and what Monks and Christians Eat in Lent
- a 17th century cookbook for "middle class" diners, with very few
spices - an interesting comparison with the luxurious recipes in
earlier cookbooks - but may also reflect changes in the economies of
the region.
- numerous essays by Charles Perry on many aspects of Middle Eastern
foods, from translation issues, to Arabic recipes in the cuisines of
SCA-period Italy

And there's more - like Maxim Rodinson's tantalizing survey of a
cookbook - but without a translation of the recipes (al-Kitab
al-Habib)

The volume has several very excellent Indices.

It's a treasure. Get it before the price goes up!

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita