[Sca-cooks] Seeking Period pie Crust

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 29 00:22:30 PDT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2006 08:20 schrieb ranvaig at columbus.rr.com:
> >Czu machen ein krapffen teig.
> >
> >To make dough for Krapfen.
>
> Modernly Krapfen are fried donuts, not pies. Maybe the word has
> changed, but this doesn't sound like a pie crust.  And 1/2 c wiine
> for 3 c flour sounds like too much liquid.
> Ranvaig

This is for fritters, not baked goods, but at the same time it's not for
anything like modern Krapfen. It makes something like deep-fried pastries,
and it can be baked successfully, though it does not behave like the pie
crust dough we are used to - much softer and liable to tear in unbaked form.
It is, however, older by several decades than other surviving pie crust
recipes, and indicates considerable variety in existence at the time.

1/2 cup is the high estimate - depends on what flour and what kind of honey
you use and how you like your dough. I might well try less to get a more
crust-like mix, but for fritters, this makes a decent proportion.

Also, it's an early sweetened crust. That's a good thing. Almost a century
later, the Koekerye still refers only to 'make a crust of eggs and flour',
which tastes less than satisfying.

Giano