[Sca-cooks] Lemonade in medieval Egypt

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 29 12:25:25 PDT 2006

Johnna Holloway wrote:
>I have turned up a juice quotes but the printed recipe
>appears to have just appeared in La Varenne which is 1650's.
>There's this mention for instance--
>
>Many men putte ?erto in somer ?e Iuse of lymons or of orenges.
>  [Many men put thereto in summer the juice of lemons or of oranges.]
>
>Chauliac 2 (Paris angl. 25 156a/b) c1425

Thanks... what book/manuscript is this from? is Chauliac the author
or the place the manuscript was found or stored?

For the 16th C. salon (for which i asked for non-alcoholic recipes),
i ended up using LaVarenne's recipes, making lemon syrup with a dot
of jasmine essence (artificial flavoring from the Thai market - i
looked for jasmine flowers, but could only find them in tea) and
Seville orange syrup with a generous splash of orange flower water.
Inspired by, but not exactly following, La Varenne, i made peach
syrup with a bit of rose water.

There wasn't a speck of lemon syrup left (so i made 2 quarts for the
dayboard just past), and about 2/3 or 3/4 of the orange was used (and
the remainder finished off at the dayboard).

The peach was less popular, since without having its flavor augmented
by modern "natural flavors", it didn't have intensely "peachy" flavor
of modern peach beverages.

Since we have an active contingent of 16th c. personae here, i keep
hoping to find some non-alcoholic beverage recipes.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

who now has naturally flavored jasmine syrup for next time...