[Sca-cooks] Seeking Period pie Crust

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 30 21:06:01 PDT 2006

Tomasia wrote:

> "The Custard Paste"
> The original comes from Libro di Cucina - Recipe "C"
> 3# white flour
> 1# Almonds
> 1/2# hazelnuts, toasted, ground
> 1/4 c. butter melted
> 2T sugar
> 2-3 T almond milk
> Make almond milk from your almonds. Drain milk
> reserving nuts and chop them well. Mix the almonds
> with the flour and the hazelnuts. Add sugar and butter
> until your dough forms. This dough works out better if
> you press it in the pan, however, if you roll slowly
> on a WELL floured surface this will work. Place in
> your pie pan. Fill. Bake. Yield:2 crusts

Greetings Signora Tomasia

I, also, have been gathering period pastry recipes, but I'd missed this
one - thank you!

I was wondering, why do you put the hazelnut meal in the pastry? I
didn't read it that way.

This could be because I'm working from a translation (I can't read the
original), or if you are too maybe they are different ones. I have only
seen the translation by Helewyse de Birkestad
at

http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html

which says "Take the most white flour that you have, in the amount of
three pounds, and take two ounces of sugar, a pound of almonds and
thirty six hazel nuts, half a pound of raisins, twenty five dates, half
of a quarter of an ounce of cloves.  Take a good quantity of almond
milk, and take the flour that you have, well mixed with water so that it
is thick.  Take a frying pan which is well greased with oil and with
this flour make a crust, and powder it with the sugar and the said
spices, add the crushed hazel nuts, finely chopped dates, well washed
raisins and ground cloves and save a portion of the crust and put it
above each part of these things and it is a tart."

I can read this as a crust made of flour and water, or maybe flour and
almond milk, but the hazelnuts seem to me to be part of the filling,
along with the raisins and dates.

Although it sounds yummy whichever way :)

Margaret Rendell/Emma de Lastone
Krae Glas, Lochac/Melbourne, Australia