[Sca-cooks] Sour plums

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 1 16:06:17 PDT 2006

The sour plum you have is probably the fruit of an Australian tree (Owneia
venosa).  There is a North American sour plum (Prunus gracilis), but the
fruit, while edible, is not particularly appealing.  Neither is likely to
appear in period European cooking.

Bear

One of our local ethnic markets has a new-to-me fruit, the sour plum.  It
looks like a small granny smith apple(smaller than a lady apple), but has a
small stone fruit seed in the center.  One person I talked to says he eats
them fresh.  Another says the fruit can be used whenever you want to add
some sour taste to a dish.  One person also told me it's a persian fruit.  I
haven't been able to find out if it's an unripe plum like verjuice is  from
unripe grapes or if it's sour when ripe like a lemon.

Anyone know this fruit?  Is it used in any of the historic middle eastern
cooking manuscripts?

Sharon