[Sca-cooks] Gawdawful spaghetti sauce- OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jun 2 14:40:44 PDT 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 4:00 PM, grizly wrote:

> My gracious, I had forgotten about a "classic" Bolognese Ragu as a
> possible
> option, though more complicated.  Basic technique is browning bacon or
> pancetta in olive oil & butter to render, then add fine diced
> carrot, celery
> and <<insert flavorful item to replace onion/garlic . . . maybe add
> some
> anchovy paste or artichoke heart or turnip??>> until tender then
> add chopped
> or coarse ground meat (beef/pork/veal mix is best). Add a half cup
> of dairy
> . . . milk works and cream is too rich . . . in two parts,
> simmering to
> reduce completely each time.  Then add a cup or so of white wine
> the same
> way .  When nearly dry again, add some broth and tomatoes and
> simmer for a
> good hour to tenderize/braise the meat.  glorious if not more
> complicated
> than everyday sauces.

That's pretty much the deluxe Classical version, but I've seen
reputable recipes that omit the cream/milk and opt for butter as the
main fat, and include some grated parmigiano stirred into the sauce.

Jeff Smith used to have a fairly quick-and-dirty "real" Bolognese in
a couple of his books.

I just figured, in place of onion and garlic, we can get that
complexity and sweetness in there some other way, and that was the
direction I felt pulled in ;-).

> I recall that either Cooks Illustrated or Cookwise did a rundown on
> this
> kind of sauce and have a really good rendition.  You can add herbs
> to taste,
> and it can minimize the missing aliums.  A really quick and dirty
> (not a
> recommendation) website showing the technique is
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/
> 0,,FOOD_9936_22090,00.html
>
> This sauce is probably better with rigatoni, penne, or even
> pappardelle.

Fettucine wouldn't be bad, either, and then, of course, there are
always gnocchi, but I gathered Phlip is working with a fairly limited
set of ingredients...

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04