[Sca-cooks] Food for events

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Jun 3 08:57:53 PDT 2006

> Shane wrote:
>
> > Hello. I am somewhat new to the SCA and will be going to a few events
> > in the near future. Does anyone have ideas as to what type of food to
> > bring for a family of 3 that will keep well and does not have to be
> > cooked? (dried foods, etc) Would need breakfast and lunches as we
> > always attend feast for dinner. Thank you.
> >   <>
> > Shane Beal
> > Eadric Wynnflaed of Falcon Cree

Shane,

I've been watching this thread, and there's no real reason you can't bring
along almost anything you're used to eating at home. It's basicly what I do
for a long weekend event. I'll have stashed in my cooler whatever meats I'm
in the mood for, frozen, with an assortment of fresh veggies (onions travel
well, as do carrots, summer squashes, potatoes, celery, and a lot of other
things as long as you keep them cool), often eggs (don't really need
refrigerated as long as you don't leave them in the hot sun- those plastic
egg carriers you can get from the camping section at WalMart work well to
protect them), and there's stuff available like canned bacon, tomatoes,
fish, if you like tuna or sardines (I do)- all kinds of things. I usually
have my forge along, as well as a good supply of lump charcoal, so finding
heat to cook with isn't a problem ;-) but there are plenty of handy dandy
cooking devices available to suit any budget or packing preference.

With a family-sized mess kit, and my Omigosh wok, and a few metal strips, I
can grill or boil or stir fry to my heart's content. I try to keep things
flexible, because I may just be feeding myself, or I may be feeding an
assortment of busy involved students and apprentices, so I usually have rice
and/or noodles of some sort as a stretcher.

It really depends on what you want. I keep my coffee pot mumbling away next
to my forge fire, and I have a 5 gallon drink cooler I load with ice,
cleaned beer cans, and water nearby, so I have hot or cold beverages, as I
prefer.

One really easy modern convenience is boil in bags, that you can fill with
stew or spaghetti sauce, drop in boiling water, and heat-n-eat. I don't use
them myself- I prefer to make myself a good curry, fresh, but have plenty of
friends that do use boil in bags.

And, for kids, an excellent snack is a baggie of already cut up carrot
and/or celery sticks, and maybe some radishes. Keep them in water, and they
look as fresh as when you cut them.

Breads travel well, too, as does that old favorite, PBJ ;-)

What sorts of things do you and your family like? A carefully packed cooler
and a dry goods basket can have you eating at events as well as you eat at
home.

--
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"