[Sca-cooks] OOP: Frozen sauces

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 3 09:43:00 PDT 2006

The textural challenge I would see in freezing a sauce is the formation of
large (relative) ice crystals that would damage the overall structure of
your gel (be it from pectin or some vegetal starch).  Strategic use of
sugars and fats are common techniques in candy and ice cream production.
Constant agitation similar to ice cream/sorbet freezers also helps . . . as
does controlling the temp and the ice formation rate.  I know, all too
figity for making a quick sauce for a good steak.

Maybe a starting point would be using your electric sorbet machine to freeze
your sauce mixture that includes a suitable fat quantity?  I would hope you
could get at worst a veryfine granita sort of texture, or at best and semi
smooth semifreddo sort of affair.  Alternatively, you can use a granita
techinque of freezing in wide, flat pans like half sheets, and then every
half hour or so scorring extensivey with a fork to create some 'snow'.
Return to freezer, and repeeat however often you can tolerate.  You
mechanically break up the ice crystals and get a finer and finer grind of
ice for the sauce.  fat helps the mouthfeel and ice crystal management as
well.

niccolo
hoping not to go too far in complicating yet another simple thread :o(