[Sca-cooks] Reindeer was Air Mattress (was Pennsic Pity Party)

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jun 4 07:17:50 PDT 2006

Was written:

Not quite. What happened (at least here in Sweden, where most of the
fallout ended up) was that lichen have a tendency to accumulate Cs-137.
And reindeer lives to a large extent on lichen. Thus a large portion of
the herds had to be culled (meat not suitable for human consumption).
The hides should be perfectly fine for sleeping on occasionally, and
probably even if you used it for bedding every day until the fur wore
out (say a year or so).

Thanks now I know the truth of the situation.  How long has it taken for the
herds to become safe, i.e. the problem with lichen to resolve itself?  Did
Sweden ever seek compensation from the Russkies for damages?  I would have
thought that the Finns would if only as payback for the reparations payments
they made after WWII.

Dan