[Sca-cooks] Bells and their Casting was Cast Iron pots??

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 23:17:37 PDT 2006

Daniel replied to me with:
  <<<  Was written:

Well, they did repair or redo the Liberty Bell. It then cracked
again, later. However, I believe the Liberty Bell, and I imagine most
bells, is cast of brass, not iron. I think iron would have a horrible
tonal quality compared to brass.

Bronze not brass is what was then used in bell casting.  >>>

Okay. I thought of brass and bronze as two different alloys. However,
a few years ago, I thought on this list, I was corrected and told
that bronze was a subset of brass. Since I couldn't remember for sure
whether the Liberty Bell was composed of brass or bronze, I chose
what I thought was the most encompassing term.

I do have this file on bells, but I'm always interested in more info
on medieval bells and their casting.
bells-msg         (21K)  9/18/01    Casting, construction and use of
medieval
                                       bells. Bell sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TIME/bells-msg.html

I don't know if any SCA folks have tried casting bells using medieval
methods or not.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas