[Sca-cooks] sops

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 5 11:20:18 PDT 2006

tom.vincent at yahoo.com wrote:

>Maybe it's more clear in the originals:
>
>Soupes dorroy. Shere Oynonys, an frye hem in oyle;
>þanne take Wyne,an boyle with Oynonys, toste whyte
>Brede an do on a dysshe, an caste þer-on gode
>Almaunde Mylke, & temper it wyth wyne: þanne do
>þe dorry a-bowte an messe it forth. (Harleian MS 279
>recipe 30)
>
>Soupes dorrees. Nym oynons, mynce hem, frie hem in
>oille de olyue: nym onyons, boille hem with wyn, tost
>whit bred, & do it in dishes and cast almand mylke
>theron, & ye wyn & ye oynons aboue, & gif hit forth.
>(Laud MS. 553 recipe 17)
>
>Duriel

But in both cases, the onions are fried, then boiled with wine.  White
bread is toasted, put in a bowl and almond milk, along with the onions
are poured over the toasted bread.  The bread isn't, as I interpret it,
actually mixed into the onion/wine/almond milk mixture, but is used as a
vehicle for the other ingredients...it's not a thickner as is seen in
other recipes where the directions call for grating or grinding the
bread.  I have done a late period recipe for cauliflower where the
cauliflower is cooked in a milk sauce, then served over toast just as
described here.

Kiri