[Sca-cooks] 12th-century bread (was Re: Favorite Frugal Pennsic Meals)

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 6 04:05:21 PDT 2006

Am Dienstag, 6. Juni 2006 10:28 schrieb Sydney Walker Freedman:
> What is this 12th-century "bread cooked in water," and from what source is
> this reference taken?  I'm in the process of collecting 12th-13th century
> European recipes and redacting them, so I would really like to know.
> Thanks!  :)
>
> Pax Christi,
> Lady Cecilia de Cambrige

It's from a 'signa' list. In Cistercian and Cluniac monasteries, different
degrees of 'silence' were observed, the dining hall invariably being subject
to this stricture. The monks developed a sign language to meet the need to
ask for various foods or food items without actually talking, and lists of
these signs survive. They are not recipes, just collections of food items,
but they are still very interesting and if I ever find the time, I'll write a
research article on it Meanwhile, I offer to send my first (and very bad)
draft including a list of the terms from several such lists in Latin and
English to anyone who asks, clearly stating that it's NOT for sharing (I'd be
eternally embarrassed)

Giano