[Sca-cooks] 12th-century bread (was Re: Favorite Frugal Pennsic Meals)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 6 06:38:30 PDT 2006

I haven't come across this before, but I can think of three possible
explanations of the term and I have empirical knowledge of each.

My first thought is this could be "peggy tubby" bread, where the dough is
allowed to rise immersed in water.  The technique is believed to date to the
1st Century BCE, but the evidence is fairly murky.

Otherwise, this may be a loaf cooked in a manner similar to simnel where a
yeast bread is cooked by boiling or parboiling and baking (think water
bagel).  This is not likely to actually be simnel which is an enriched (and
sometimes filled) bread seated in a hard dough pie shell, as it would not
likely be in the regular diet of a strict monastic order.

Bear