[Sca-cooks] remove vs course

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 6 22:31:14 PDT 2006

Kiri wrote:
>We're seeing Troll die away here as well, though it is more prevalent,
>apparently, than elsewhere.  However, we are having a "schtick" event in
>November...garb modeled on what is in the movies, feast including things
>that are in movies, etc.  We've actually been talking about figuring out
>some way to create a bridge-type structure to put the person checking
>people into the event, so that the term "Troll" is more appropriate.
>Should be a fun event...not at all historically accurate, but we're
>making it clear to one and all that it is strictly tongue-in-cheek!

Sounds amusing. I think there has been discussion here off and on of
putting on an event to which attendees would be encouraged to wear
clothing like people wore to the first couple years of SCA events and
to serve food like what was cooked way back then. It's good for a
laugh, to think about, for those of us who weren't there. But i doubt
such an event will ever take place here, where it all started

>My
>husband had, some years back, put together a class for our University,
>"The Herald in Hollywood" that proved to be a great success...pointed
>out the differences between real, historical heraldry and what is often
>seen in movies.

There's so much that one could do on the theme of "The --- in
Hollywood". For example there are those quite enjoyable Brother
Caedfael TV mysteries in which nearly everyone appears to be wearing
burlap. Not to mention the various dance sequences or sword fighting
sequences... (and how every blade, no matter how thin, goes
sha-CHING! as it comes out of a scabbard of any material)
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita