[Sca-cooks] Moghul Food

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 7 06:05:59 PDT 2006

Craig Jones wrote:

>Just a quickie,
>
>Was talking with a wonderful chap in my Barony just now over dinner and he
>expressed a desire to research and cook Moghul style.
>
>I vaguely remember someone mentioning a book that was recently published.
>Anyone remember what it was and the quality/authenticity of the recipes?
>
>Drakey.

Not sure about recently, but probably the best book is "A Soup for the
Qan", with a translation of the /Yin-shan cheng-yao/, a 14th century
treatise on health and food.  However, it is excruciatingly expensive,
so you might try getting it on InterLibrary Loan.  IIRC, you are in
Lochac, so this might be difficult from where you are.  There is another
book out on Mongol Court cooking, but it's not all that great...the
recipes are fine, but I'm not comfortable with their being
period...there are no original recipes in the book, just modern versions.

Hope this helps!

Kiri