[Sca-cooks] Rose petal syrup

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 7 22:28:16 PDT 2006

Sharon Gordon wrote:
 > Does anyone make rose petal syrup?  I'd appreciate any recipes or
 > advice and also info on canning it.
 >
 > Sharon

I've not made it, nor do I think I have any info specifically on
canning it but perhaps these Florilegium files might be of use:

rose-syrup-msg    (10K)  6/24/99    Making rose syrup. It's uses.
Sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/rose-syrup-msg.html
canning-msg       (36K) 10/28/03    Use of canning in the SCA.
Directions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/canning-msg.html

Although I'm not sure why you are wanting to can it. Often the reason
to make a syrup in the first place is the preserve something. The
high sugar content tends to kill the bad beasties, which is why the
Sekanjabin and similar sugar syrups can be kept almost indefinitely,
as syrups.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas