[Sca-cooks] Moghul Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 9 00:46:32 PDT 2006

Duriel posted:
  <<< I have never suggested modern cookbooks, so that's a lie.  I
was just
trying to help by pointing out a few possibilities.  If someone wants
to find out about a culture, it is often advisable to start with the
modern equivalent and work backward.>>>

Unfortunately, you are fairly new to this list, so you've missed the
previous discussions we have had along these lines. Many of us have
probably held similar views in the past. I know that to some extent I
did, until hearing some of Master Cariadoc's questions and commentary
which was very similar then, as to what he replied to you with,
today. Because of the questions he, and others have raised, many of
us have come to understand that our initial views were wrong or at
least needed modifying.

Also unfortunately, some folks on this list, having learned from
these previous discussions, have forgotten just how much they and
others have learned over the years from this list and their own
studies and have forgotten the wide range of expertise on this list.
At the same time, you do tend to come across as making statements of
fact that others may disagree with. In that case, you are very likely
to be asked what evidence you have for making that statement. Please
don't take that as a personal attack. I've seen very few of those on
this list. Unless you strongly believe what you are stating, you
might want to consider not stating it so absolutely.

I have learned to be careful of absolutes. There are very few when
talking about wide range of cultures and time in the period and area
that the SCA covers. Often this is true of individual cultures as well.

<<< It seemed like a casual initial question, so I provided a few casual
suggestions.  I spent a few minutes looking, trying to help.>>>

Thank you.

Hopefully the longer you are on this list, the more you will get a
feel for what sorts of information will be of the most use to folks
on this list.

I often suggest files or sites that someone might find useful, mostly
pointers to stuff in the Florilegium as I probably know that site
better than pretty much anyone else, for some reason. :-) But I also
realize that sometimes my suggestions are shots-in-the-dark and that
a specific file mentioned may not be of use to the person posting the
original question. In that case, I hope that others on this list
might find the file mentioned of interest or at least that they won't
begrudge the bandwidth.

Stefan
Stepping down from the soapbox and going to bed.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com