[Sca-cooks] Byzantine bread stamps

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Fri Jun 9 06:10:29 PDT 2006

Just as an aside that might provide ~some~ insight...I noticed at
some of the small town festivals in Germany that they sold bread
loaves with different items embedded in the top of the loaf...like
an egg cup or shot glass or piece of glazed pottery painted with a
symbol. The items were kind of a souvenir for the event.

Maybe the stamps indicated the type of bread, or the weight
(different loaf sizes) or the baker?

Ysabeau