[Sca-cooks] mayo questions

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Mon Jun 12 22:49:48 PDT 2006

I was told with great confidence and no small amount of braggadocio by a
basque tapas chef that mayonnaise was invented by the basque. When I
asked him for his sources he assured me that HE had received this medal
and that for his cookery and so was not obligated to reveal his research
sources. But he vowed that he indeed had read it in an early Spanish
cooking manuscript.

Heh :).

The idea of the egg/oil emulsion is a pretty revolutionary one. We see
egg emulsion sauces in some of our sources but nothing like mayo...at
least not that I've seen!!

--Anne-Marie, who grants that that basque guy could cook like an angel
in spite of everything else ;)