[Sca-cooks] OOP: Spiced Fruits

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 13 17:26:00 PDT 2006

maire wrote:
>I've never seen spiced, dried fruits here in Montana.  Closest I've seen is
>prunes or dried cranberries with a citrus "essence" added.

These weren't dried fruits, but canned fruits, i guess they'd be called.

>Are you talking
>about canned fruits? Haven't actually seen those, either, other than those
>apple rings, which I actually can't stand.  ;o)

I figure if i make the apple rings myself, they'll be better than the
artificially dyed ones they (used to) sell. Those i can make a couple
days before the dinner.

We had a crab apple tree when i was a kid, before we sold the back
yard, and i loved eating them. As far as i can recall, they never
made me sick. I will assume that crab apples or lady apples will show
up in the fall in the magical Berkeley Bowl.

Surfing the web for recipes (since i have almost no modern American
cookbooks), i keep seeing all three - spiced peaches, whole spiced
crab apples, and red spiced apple "rings" - described as "Southern".
Now, me, i was a kid in Northeastern Illinois - a few blocks from
Lake Michigan - so i was (and am) far from Southern. And these were
all commercial products, from back before massive cross-country (and
cross-hemisphere) shipments of fresh produce.

I didn't see anything other than iceberg and romaine lettuce until i
moved to California (we always had iceberg with homemade Thousand
Island dressing (mayo and Heinz Chili Sauce) or bottled French's red
dressing... before corn syrup became a common ingredient in salad
dressings) - where i was astonished to see more than two kinds of
plums in the summer.

So, anyway, you're in Montana and they still have the red apple rings
in bottles. I guess we're just too cutting edge here in CALIF.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita