[Sca-cooks] OOP: Spiced Fruits

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:22:33 PDT 2006

>Is this just a regional thing, or a marketing thing, or a change in
>US culture, or something else?

They're not available in Mich AFAIK anymore, either.  Unless you hit a local
church or Menonite harvest-time bakesale and get lucky.

>I'm asking well ahead of time, because it's almost peach season
>(yeah, they're in the stores, but they're a bit "early"), and my
>daughter and i are going to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the extended
>family this year. So i want to know if i need to can some myself -
>i'm an inexperienced canner, so it may be something of an ordeal. Or
>if i can find them somewhere and save the trouble...

Oh, not so much of an ordeal.  Consider it an adventure!  I'd suggest
investing in the "Ball Blue Book of Preserving" (which really isn't blue
anymore, but tradition and all that....).  There are a couple recipes for
apples, including one that uses cinnamon red hots.  Never tried that one.
And one for Peaches in spices and honey that IS faboo.   Canning isn't that
difficult.  Just have the right equipment.  One of the best tidbits is the
little set Ball sells with a set of can tongs, a plastic slide for getting
out air bubbles, a funnel, and a magnetic want for fishing the hot lids out
of the water.

You might also check bargain book stores for a book called "Perfect
Preserves" by Norah Carey.  It's got a very British bent, but has a recipe
for rowanberry and crabapple jelly as well as other things that are more
than a little esoteric by US standards.  I really like her method of making
and storing pectin stock for use in jams and jellies - in lieu of sure-jell
which is getting exorbitantly expensive.

Femke - who is off to shake down the local berry grower for her entire crop
of gooseberries yet again this year.  *g*