[Sca-cooks] Spanish recipe question.

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 05:23:59 PDT 2006

There is a recipe common to several countries and ages, the "cocido",
a thick pottage with all the vegetables you have around plus meat,
sausage and black sausage to cook with. The cocido I love most is done
with chickpeas (a dear vegetable to both Spain and Portugal), black
sausage (morcilla), several kind of sausages, cabbage and onions.
In the modern variation they use potatoes too.
Another is the same recipe but with tripes inside (the stomach of a
calve or a cow), very similar to the Italian "busseca" or the French
"tripes à la mode de Caen".
And black sausage (morcilla as well).
But you can take out all the meat ingredients and make the pottage
with cabbage, onions and chickpeas as well, I guess.
Ana, a Miscelanous personae :)

On 6/14/06, Bronwynmgn at aol.com <Bronwynmgn at aol.com> wrote:
> So, I have offered to do Sunday dinner at our Convivencia event to be held
> Labor Day weekend in Silver Rylle, East Kingdom.  Jadwiga's doing the big
> feast on Saturday, so we are looking for something simple - a hearty pottage and
> vegetarian alternative.
> This is a strongly Spanish-themed (13th century specifically) event, but  I'm
> a strongly English in persona person.  So I'm thinking that if you ask  an
> Englishwoman to cook for Spaniards, might she not find a recipe somewhere in
> her English or French cookbooks called "pottage in the Spanish way" and use
> that?
>
> Is there anything of that sort?  I myself tend to go 15th century or
> earlier, but if I need to use something later, I'll deal.
> Alternatively, since I'm not familiar with the Spanish corpus, is there
> something suitable there?  Obviously it wouldn't be an English recipe "in a
> Spanish manner", but it would be quite appropriate.
>
> Brangwayna

"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' a part
limited in time and space.  He experiences himself, his thoughts and
feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical
delusion of his consciousness.  This delusion is a kind of prison for
us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few
persons nearest to us.  Our task must be to free ourselves from this
prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living
creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.  Nobody is able to
achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in
itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."
-- Albert Einstein