[Sca-cooks] buying chinese spices

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 17 09:49:27 PDT 2006

Maggie MacDonald wrote:
> A friend of mine is doing regular trips to Hong Kong and South China right
> now, and was wondering if there was anything I wanted while he was
> there.  Of course there is, SPICES. However, theres some odd import
> restrictions on organic things.
>
> Is there anybody familiar with what those restrictions might be, and what
> is convenient to pick up and bring back from there, in terms of spices?  He
> had problems trying to find sichuan pepper, but maybe it was because I had
> described it badly.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Maggie
>
> PS- he also makes frequent trips to Korea, what's good from there?

Not sure about restrictions.  You might want to check the Department of
Agriculture site.

So far as Korea is concerned...if it is still available, antique bell
brass is wonderful stuff.  The bowls are beautifully shaped, and
literally have a bell tone that is wonderful.  They also should have
spoons and chopsticks, all of brass.  Foodwise, there's always kim
chee...if you have a leather mouth!!

Kiri