[Sca-cooks] OOP: Hell's Kitchen and injuries

aeduin aeduin at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 20 16:38:50 PDT 2006

At 04:29 PM 6/20/2006, you wrote:
><much snippage>
>
> >That was good, but Ramsey said he had
> >never seen that before in all his years in restaurant work. I'd call
> >it a prerequisite, and I suspect he's either not being honest about
> >that, has been extremely lucky, or is Bobby Flay.
>
>I agree. In my limited experience in professional kitchens as well
>as doing my catering and feast work, the vast majority of folk who
>get injured keep on working until they have time to worry about it.
>I remember working at La Madeline and the potato soup (heavenly,
>btw) was a puree and stuck like napalm. I still have small scars from
>drops hitting my hands as I served. One of the crew put a large
>pot into the steamer and it splashed his face. This molten lava just
>off the cooker gave him second degree burns all over his face. He
>was back at work that afternoon.
>
>Just like Anthony Bourdain and his desire to get "Cook's Hands".
>Injuries happen. Deal and go.
>

>Gunthar
>(I've been kind of wanting to do a feast, someone sit on me.)
I got grease burns while working the line at a steakhouse one Friday
evening in the middle of the rush.  Some knucklehead knocked something in
the deep fryer by accident and I got a nice smattering of droplet shaped
blisters up my arm and hand.  I had the manager get me a gallon pitcher of
ice water to dunk my arm in when I could for the rest of the evening.

aeduin