[Sca-cooks] oatmeal/hot cereal?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 21 16:50:02 PDT 2006

Almost any grain dish of this sort can be prepared by initially boiling the
grain or meal, then covering it and setting it aside to finish cooking.  Set
the pot where it will stay warm, but not scorch.  Whole grains should
probably be boiled until they burst, then set aside to finish cooking.

Menagier prepares millet, wheat and barley.  The barley is essentially
prepared to be an "instant" food for invalids.  I think Menagier is using
whole grains rather than meal.  I prefer cracked grains for speed and
convenience.

Hulled, whole oats will probably take longer than you want.  I assume your
reference to "rolled oats" is to the partially milled oats in the big card
board containers.  Oats rolled into big fat flakes have a much more
interesting texture.  Steel cut or pinhead oats provide a chunky texture,
while stone ground oat meal will make a smoother gruel.  I like the steel
cut oats with brown sugar and cream (however, I usually get 2% milk, sigh).

Bear