[Sca-cooks] cook music [OOP]

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jun 21 20:25:59 PDT 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 9:16 PM, King's Taste Productions wrote:

> Probably the best scene in that movie. No wait, all of the scenes
> without JLo were pretty good :/

I kinda liked the "you can be a coked-out whore, too, if that's what
you want" bit*.

[*Context is everything.]

Additional food note: in this same movie, George Carlin refers to
having an iron frying pan that nobody is allowed to wash (with
soap?). He says it's got a good layer of juice built up for "the pork
roll", which he doesn't want disturbed; his son says this layer is
called fat and will someday kill him. It turns out that the "pork
roll" in question is probably Taylor Brand Sugar-Cured, Spiced Pork
Roll, a.k.a. Taylor Ham, a New Jersey specialty that no true
Jerseyite ever refers to as Taylor Ham; that  blasphemy is left to
New Yorkers and other philistines. There's actually a two-page
article in the latest edition of Weird New Jersey, which starts out
as an interview with some radio DJ who is apparently the self-
appointed ambassador of the Taylor Pork Packing Corporation to the
outside world.

I remember Taylor Ham (yes, we were philistines in New York) as a
compressed, salami-like mass in a canvas wrapper, made from pork and
cured with sugar, salt, and the usual carcinogenic-but-yummy
suspects. Yes, it sounds fairly unimpressive, but FWIW, it is leaner,
firmer, less salty, and infinitely better than Spam. Which, depending
on your POV, may not be saying much.

The rumor (unsubstantiated within my recent experience) is that the
market for Taylor Sugar-Cured Pork Roll has shrunk somewhat, and
you're not likely to find it outside of NJ, and if you try to order
Taylor Ham in a diner, even just over the PA/NJ or NY/NJ border, they
either claim not to know what it is, or try to give you ordinary ham.
Which I find interesting since a lot of diners are using some pretty
questionable flaked-and-formed ham lately anyway.

The Weird NJ article includes some lovely late 50's and early 60's
recipes for Taylor Ham, including a majestic presentation for a
whole, glazed pork roll, plus various salads, casseroles and pasta
dishes. With the original photography.

> Definitely up there with the Adam's family kids doing the blood scene
> from Richard III.  :)
> Christianna

Weren't they also responsible for, "I'm... a turkey, so EAT ME... "?

Adamantius