[Sca-cooks] Cherries cherries and more cherries

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 24 01:20:02 PDT 2006

--- Karin Burgess <avrealtor at prodigy.net> wrote:

> After an outing with my daughter to the local cherry orchard, we have pounds of them. Mostly
> bing and Rainier.  They also had sour cherries but i didn't get any. I can always go back
> though.
>
>   Anyone care to share their favorite cherry recipes?  I will have quite a bit left over after
> we eat some and give some away as presentation gifts tomorrow.
>
>   -Muiriath

>From Sabina Welserin:

123 To make a very good sour cherry tart

Take a pound of sour cherries and remove all of the pits. Afterwards take a half pound of
sugar and a half ounce of finely ground cinnamon sticks and mix the sugar with it. Next
mix the cherries with it and put it after that in the pie shell made of good flour and
let it bake in the tart pan.

130 To make a sour cherry tart

Take the sour cherries, take out the stones and make a pastry crust as for the other tarts.
Take bread crumbs from grated white bread and fry them in fat. Pour them on the crust,
sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top, Put the sour cherries in it, leaving their juice in the
bowl, sprinkle it well with sugar and with cinnamon, make a crust on top of it, let it bake,
as it is customary.

165 To bake sour cherry puffs

Take hot water, lay fat the size of a walnut into it, and when the fat is melted, then make
a batter with flour, it should be thick. Beat it until it bubbles, after that thin it with
egg whites. If you like, you can also put a few egg yolks into it. Tie four sour cherries
together, dip them in the batter and fry them. Shake the pan, then they will rise. The fat
must be very hot.

Huette