[Sca-cooks] Cherries cherries and more cherries

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 24 10:07:49 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----

After an outing with my daughter to the local cherry orchard, we have pounds
of them. Mostly bing and Rainier.  They also had sour cherries but i didn't
get any. I can always go back though.

  Anyone care to share their favorite cherry recipes?  I will have quite a
bit left over after we eat some and give some away as presentation gifts
tomorrow.

  -Muiriath >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scully's Neapolitan Cuisine offers basically a cherry cheesecake/torta for
cherries.  I did it woth sour cherries, but bing or ranier would e just
fine.  It is webbed at
http://franiccolo.home.mindspring.com/torta_de_cerase.html

#137 Tolle cesrase rosse ho piu negre che si possa trovare, he poi cavarai
for a quello suo osso he pista e cerase in uno mortaro; poi piglia rose
rrosse he batile - dico, solo le foglie - cum uno cultello molto bene tute;
poi habi uno poco de caso fresco he veghio cum specie a discretione, he
canella he bono zenzaro cum poco pipero he zucaro, he miscolari tute queste
cose insieme, agiongendoli .vi. ova; et farai una crosta de pasta sopre la
padella he cum meza libre de butiro, he ponella ha a cocere, dandoli el foco
temperato; he quando he cotta, pone del zucaro he aqua rosata.

Cherry Torte (#137)
 Get red cherries or the darkest available, remove the pit and grin in a
mortar; then get red roses and crush them well --  I mean the petals alone -
with a knifel get a little new and old cheese with a reasonable amount of
spices, cinnamon and good ginger with a liitle pepper and sugar, and mix
everything together, adding in six eggs; make a pastry crust for the pan
with half a pound of butter and set it to cook giving it moderate fire; when
it is cooked, put on sugar and rosewater.

NICCOLO'S RECIPE
Serves 8-12   prebake pastry crust  preheat oven to 350F

1 lb. Sour cherries                    6 eggs
Pastry crust (made with ? # butter)
8 ounces fresh/soft cheese        dash of rose water (to taste)         2
Tbl sugar
? c. grated semi soft cheese     ? tsp cinnamon                           ?
tsp. Powdered ginger
pinch black pepper

Coarsely grind cherries in mortar or food processor, or chop coarsely with
knife.  Mix together cheeses, sugar, spices and eggs.  Add cherries and
rosewater.  Pour into prepared, pre-baked pastry shell as one pie or as
several tarts.  Bake at 350F until just set and it moves as one mass when
jiggled, about 40 minutes; do not overcook!  Remove from over and sprinkle
immediately with sugar and a dash of rosewater.

ORIGINAL TEXT & TRANSLATION
Scully, T. (2000).  Cuoco Napoletano - The Neapolitan Recipe
        Collection: a critical edition and English translation.
        Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.)