[Sca-cooks] Cherries cherries and more cherries

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jun 25 22:09:21 PDT 2006

Somehow, Stefan's post reminds me of my own favorite recipe with cherries in
it.  It's that one you turned me on to, Lainie--the one with the cherries
and poultry and mint/green herby things, all baked into a tart.  What was
the name of it?  Oh, yeah, "Crust of Tame Creatures."  That one....
And traditional cherry pie, of course, although that's made with sour
cherries.  I do have an auld, auld family recipe (courtesy of my
great-grandmother, who was from Boston, I think....), though, for using with
(canned, black) sweet cherries.  The crust is higher-fat than normal, with
the judicious addition of a bit of sugar and some leavening (b. powder, I
think, w/out digging out the recipe).  The filling I remember as a
thickened, whipped cream, flavored with vanilla and some sugar.  And over
that, goes the fruit goo/sauce, which is made with the cherries and the
syrup they came in (thickened some with cornstarch, and then cooled).
It works marvelously when adapted for other fruits as well (strawberry and
huckleberry are two variations I remember fondly), so I don't know of a
reason it wouldn't work with a number of fruits.
We've even gone off the heretical deep end, and added a small pkg of cream
cheese to the whipped stuff, which gives you something like a very fluffy
no-bake cheesecake.  ;o)
--Maire