[Sca-cooks] Cooking peacocks

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Jun 26 20:56:03 PDT 2006

The last one that I personally saw done was in 2001. Lady Sarah nicLeod
was the head cook
for the Crown feast that fall. From my saved messages she wrote this about
the plans on 9/24/2001:
Thanks All for the very helpful suggestions. This is going to be a
really interesting project. The breeder and I had already agreed as I
wanted to cook the bird so he collected the tail feathers from his
mature bird for me this summer and I am going to fake the tail. The
young males that we were going to butcher are not feathering in like
he'd hoped and still have a lot of white on them. He has also ended up
with many more females then males and has decided he would prefer to
keep his males. As they weren't feathered out anyway I told him I would
take a female instead which are white and gold. So, I'm going to have a
peacock that is white and gold on the body with a blue green tail. It
should be very interesting! Hauvette has some body feathers which I may
try to blend in to the body to make a smoother transition into the tail.
The breeder is going to butcher the bird for me soon (wring it's neck)
and I am going to freeze the carcass until next month. I have course
salt to dry the skin. My plan is to stuff the skin with salt and dry it
in a box covered with salt in the position I want it to set. I decided
to not try to make it stand at this point. Still haven't decided weather
of not to try putting it over the roast bird.

Loved the idea of the bread coating over the roast bird so it doesn't
dry out! Was worried about that!
Sarah nicLeod

So she took the feathers and skin and mounted those over a wire frame.
The hen or bird was actually
roasted and served separately. I gather from recent discussions on male
peacocks that
serving a female might have been the thing to do as the meat from a male
they said was
described as being far too strong.  I had done the only sugarwork for that
feast, so I was hanging around doing this and that until time to serve the
soteltie at the end. (I needed my mold back and we couldn't get the mold
to release from
the sugarpiece without breaking.) I ended up helping Sarah with
the peacock. We ended up putting the tray with the fake bird on a
serving cart
and having it served to the head table in that fashion. The one thing
that we lacked when we got ready
to serve it was a way to make the tail feathers stand up or display out
properly.
Some lightweight floral weight wire would have come in handy. They could
have
looked better. Also there's always the problem getting the head to
display at the right angle.

(I should mention that the last peacock I did was created out of
marzipan and sugar icing. It was
lifesize.)

There's a good article on serving a peacock by Barbara Wheaton.
"How to cook a peacock." Harvard Magazine 82 (1979) pp 63-65.
Wheaton is the author of Savoring the Past.
Also see Petits Propos Culinaires --

THE GREAT BIRDS: PART 4, PEACOCKS IN HISTORY, Joop Witteveen 32,23

THE GREAT BIRDS, PART 5: PREPARATION OF THE PEACOCK FOR THE TABLE, Joop
Witteveen 36,10

http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/peacock/  laso has an article on them.

Johnnae