[Sca-cooks] Lucayos Cook Book was Cherries, cherries and more cherries

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jun 27 05:25:17 PDT 2006

There's really no provenance to speak of and the information
given by the text is quite limited. Without seeing the original,
I have no trouble believing that it is a family manuscript.
It may have been begun in the 17th century. (Is the late 17th century
1660-1690 really Elizabethan?) Certain recipes read like late 17th
century recipes.
It may actually have been continued past 1700. What makes it famous or
infamous is
that it contains a tomato recipe for "Ye Ketchup." This is the last recipe
so it could well have been added much later. No details are given as to
the handwriting
or if it changed during the course of the text.
It's just this very small pamphlet of recipes reputed to be from an
early culinary mss.
It would be nice if someone else had the chance to examine and evaluate
the original manuscript, but I don't know that such an examination ever has
or will take place. What makes the Fettiplace manuscript so valuable is that
we have a transcript of all the recipes now to go along with Spurling's
versions.
We don't have that for this work.
Karen Hess noted that the "documentation is scantly, but the text rings
true."
She mentions it in connection with a pepper cakes or gingerbread recipe.
See Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae