[Sca-cooks] Dayboard...moretum

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 28 16:30:27 PDT 2006

Katira wrote:
>  >Herbs in cheese no problem!  How about MORETUM, a food/lust poem by
>  >Virgil, wherein the amorous rustic makes his lunch of cheese pounded
>  >with garlic, rue, coriander seeds and salt.
>  ><http://virgil.org/appendix/moretum.htm>
>  >
>  >Bon Appetit,
>  >Selene
>
>Yes, we had this at a recent SCA feast here in the West.  I fell in love
>with it and have made it at home since then.  While I grow rue, I didn't use
>it.

I served Moretum at the Greco-Roman Mists Bardic i did in 2002.
Euriol of Lothien made it and she parboiled the garlic so it wouldn't
be too harsh. While I like my garlic with more bite, her idea was
"kind" to those who like their garlic to be gentler :-)

As for my cheese at the Dayboard, I ended up just serving it plain as
a spread for the nice part-whole wheat bread that Anna Serre made. A
lovely young Indian woman (truly South Asian, not a persona) said it
reminded her of cheese her mother used to make.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita