[Sca-cooks] OOP: Spiced Fruits

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 13 16:39:39 PDT 2006

Spiced fruits are not, a priori, OOP. But i'm just wondering about
the spiced fruit from my childhood which we bought at the supermarket
- during Winter Feast Season (Thanksgiving and Christmas) we used to
have small whole spiced peaches, and red-colored spiced apple "rings".

I know i could make them myself, and i've found recipes for the apple "rings".

I'm just curious why they've disappeared from the supermarkets - at
least here in NoCal. Not too long ago i could find spiced organic
peaches at Whole Foods, but i haven't seen them for a number of years.

Is this just a regional thing, or a marketing thing, or a change in
US culture, or something else?

I'm asking well ahead of time, because it's almost peach season
(yeah, they're in the stores, but they're a bit "early"), and my
daughter and i are going to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the extended
family this year. So i want to know if i need to can some myself -
i'm an inexperienced canner, so it may be something of an ordeal. Or
if i can find them somewhere and save the trouble...

Thanks,
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita