[Sca-cooks] period crab recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 16 11:50:34 PDT 2006

Caointairn asked:about crab recipes:
<<< Hello!  I have two questions to throw to the group:
1) I'll be running an all day kitchen in a couple weeks.  Asking for
donations, I got 2 big cans of crab meat.  It's about 2 lbs.of crab,
so I
figure an appetizer type something, but what?   My menu theme is
centered
around the Medetearranean, Each course that I'm setting out every couple
hours focused on a specific area/culture {Moorish, Spainish, Middle
eastern,
etc} within our time period. >>>

There may not be that many recipes for crab. Perhaps because they
were thought of as lower-class food as tripe and such are often
considered these days?
Check this Florilegium file for several recipes and redactions:
seafood-msg       (90K) 10/15/04    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/seafood-msg.html

Most of these appear to be either boiled crab, which probably
wouldn't work with canned crabmeat or they are a mix of crab and
salmon. See the commentary from Adamantius and one of the recipes
below from this file. Adding the salmon though would have the
advantage of stretching the crab to let the dish serve more.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com