[Sca-cooks] kitchen accidents

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 22 00:35:28 PDT 2006

Aeduin commented:
<<< I got grease burns while working the line at a steakhouse one Friday
evening in the middle of the rush.  Some knucklehead knocked
something in
the deep fryer by accident and I got a nice smattering of droplet shaped
blisters up my arm and hand.  I had the manager get me a gallon
pitcher of
ice water to dunk my arm in when I could for the rest of the evening.>>>

How well did the ice water work, especially since, I assume, you
couldn't keep your arm in the pitcher of ice water for large parts of
the evening?

For you first aid folks, Phlip?, should the water be just cold
without ice in it? Should you avoid using ice by itself or ice in the
water? Recently when the electric window in my car got shut on my
thumb, I tried the glass of ice, but couldn't keep my thumb in the
ice for very long at one time. My thumbnail is still nice and dark
blue. I thought it would be a stripe of blue but it just keeps
getting bigger. :-)

I wonder why life insurance companies are so concerned about whether
you fly a small airplane, SCUBA dive or parachute. It sounds like
working in a kitchen is more dangerous. Hey Drakey, have you ever
worked in a professional kitchen? :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas