[Sca-cooks] herbed or spiced cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 22 22:16:49 PDT 2006

Urtatim asked:
<<< I'm making the fresh cheese. I'd like to make a couple different
flavors, and i am pretty sure there is evidence for flavored cheese
(i.e., with herbs or spices or something else), but i don't recall
where to find it. >>>

Check this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
cheese-msg       (124K)  3/28/04    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-msg.html

<<< Well, various green leaves, primarily sage and parsley, are known to
have added both flavor and color to soft cheeses eaten fairly fresh.

Adamantius >>>

<<< C Anne Wilson, in 'Food and Drink in Britain' talks about
spermsye cheeses,
flavoured with herb juices, and I'd love more information on this, if
anyone
can help.

Caroline >>>

<<< The following is a recipe I redacted for use at a feast I did
some years ago.  You will note that this herbed cheese goes back to
Roman times:

Cheese Round with Herbs

Recipe By Appendix Vergiliana, Moretum
Servings 104
Categories
Appetizers

65 each garlic clove
1/4 cup celery
1/4 cup rue
1/2 cup coriander
3/8 cup salt grains
6 1/2 pounds soft cheese (ricotta)
1/2 cup olive oil
7/8 cup balsamic vinegar

In a mortar grind the garlic, then the fresh soft cheese, and finally
the herbs
(use celery leaf or parsley), so that these ingredients are
thoroughly blended.
The mixture can be moistened with olive oil, followe by a small
amount of strong
vinegar. Form the mixture into a round and chill.

Redacted by Minowara Kiritsubo from directions in "A Taste of Ancient
Rome",
translated from the Latin.

Notes : Recipe is from a poem whose protagonist was a farmer,
Moretum. From A
Taste of Ancient Rome.

Kiri  >>>

I think there are more, but this is what I found in a quick look.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com