[Sca-cooks] Roysonys of courance

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Mar 1 04:59:37 PST 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 2:16 AM, otsisto wrote:

> My local health food store carries dried black currants and they
> are the
> currants and not the zantes. I was a bit surprised as gooseberries
> which are
> related don't seem to dehydrate real well. The store can't get
> dried red
> currants.
> I did get a taste of homemade chocolate covered (dehydrated) red
> currants
> (clusters) and cranberries from a friend whose cousin made them for
> Christmas gifts one year. So I think it is possible.

It is surely possible now, but that doesn't mean it was possible, let
alone practiced, anywhere in medieval Europe. Let's think about it
this way: where, in medieval Europe, would there have been a regular
supply of red or black currants and the kind of warm, sunny, breezy
climate commonly associated with the drying of fruit? I'm trying to
picture the famous local red currant crops of Malaga, Provence, or
Turkey, or Lebanon, or Tunis, and all I'm getting on the Wayback
Machine's screen is snow and static... not much better luck when we
look for the booming raisin industry in Herjolfness. See what I mean?

Perhaps the above was a bit of an overstatement, but the gist, which
is that the necessary combination of raw materials and suitable
conditions for drying did not exist in period, with a long tradition
of conserving and otherwise moist-preserving this fruit as supporting
evidence for the claim,   is probably pretty accurate.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04