[Sca-cooks] Almonds WAS Hellooooo......

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 20 07:20:52 PST 2006

Find some fresh red currants, corsely grind the almonds and make and Almond /Current Torte - I have a modern (french techniques) and a period version.  Both very yummy.

#36. Turten von Johannesbeer. (Turten of currants.) - (*No instructions)

#18 :

5 oz almonds, grated (ground “loosely”)
1 Tablespoon rosewater
1 Tablespoon water
1/4 cup turbinado sugar, ground fine with mortar & pestle
1 1/4 cup fresh (or recently frozen) red currants, drained

Grind almonds – having small slivers of almonds is ok.  Dissolve the sugar in the rosewater – some will remain when water is saturated.  Add almonds.  Stir throughout and let sit a few minutes.  Fold currants into almonds.  Bring mix to a simmer over a low fire.  Remove from heat.  Stir.  Let cool to room temperature.  Fill Turten as necessary.

Note:  DOES NOT WORK with dryed currants...

Vitha